Saturday, January 3, 2009

Question.....

At what point do you become a mother? James and I were having this discussion and I was just curious what others thought. Do you become a mother the moment you find out your pregnant? That's when you realize that your body is no longer your own. Do you become a mother the first time you see your baby during an ultrasound? When you're newly pregnant you know there is life growing inside of you, but when you see the baby on the ultrasound, it just changes everything. Do you become a mother when you find out what you're having? You mentally get to prepare for that gender: decorate, shop for, name the baby. You can bond in a different way. Do you become a mother at birth? Do you become a mother the moment you hold your baby? I know there is no right or wrong answer because people have different opinions, but I'd like to know them. James said at birth. That makes sense. As for my answer, the jury is still out.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

I think that, for me, I will consider myself a mom the moment I find out I am pregnant. Because at that moment, your body is no longer your own. You are living every moment for the baby growing inside of you. Sure, you might not feel like a mom until you actually see your baby for the first time or hold the baby or even change a poopy diaper, but the love, responsibility and miracle begins growing inside of your body and your heart right away.

Just my two cents :)

Shannon said...

I personally would think that you would become a mother the moment you find out your pregnant. From that moment on you do everything and anything for your baby(or babies in your case!) to survive and nurture so that you can one day meet them.

Alicea said...

I felt like a mother the moment I found out I was pregnant because at that moment I felt the need to put this little tiny person's needs before my own. I knew I needed to eat better, work out, and take care of myself for this little person growing inside of me. I've already become protective, even thought I know the baby is safe in there, from the environment around me. I felt that from day one. For me, that's when I became a mother. :)

Katie said...

I'm torn between the moment you find out your pregnant and when you see your baby on an ultrasound. Maybe you first become a mom when you find out, and then the feeling grows with each milestone? I'm sure when we see our baby at the big ultrasound, I'll feel like more of a mom than before, and then the same thing will probably happen at birth... who knows!!